Oct 13, 2009

故事˙開始˙ The beginning of the story


It’s always difficult to explain why or how you fall in love with someone. That's the same feeling I get every time people ask me why I choose to stay in Taitung. I have answered this question thousands of times.
I just come here by accident…or
Amis guys are tall and pretty handsome..
I owe too much money in the west of Taiwan…
But, to be honest, I’m still trying to answer this question myself, even after I have lived here for almost 2 years.
Dulan is a small village and about 20km from Taitung City! For visitors used to living in the city, there’s not much to do in the line of luxurious entertainment. Jobs are scarce. There’s no department store, no MRT, no 5-star restaurant, and the only movie theater in Taitung just happened to burn down several weeks ago.

So what do we have here?
We have the Pacific Ocean. The coastline of Taitung is about 178km long. It suits a variety of water sports like swimming, snorkeling, diving, surfing and windsurfing. And providing the backdrop to all of this is a stunning mountain range, rising majestically from the Pacific Ocean. These mountains were the birthplace of many different Taiwan indigenous cultures.
We have the cleanest sky and water. The population density is the lowest in Taiwan, therefore pollution is nearly non-existant.
We have comfortable weather almost year round, making cycling the best way to familiarize yourself with this place.
We have an age-long relationship with the earth and nature. You can see many plants and fruits in the farms or in the trees instead of in the supermarket (there isn’t one).
We have a vibrant culture of music and dancing. I don’t know why but almost everyone I know here can sing beautifully or play at least one instrument.
But the most important reason for me to stay here, is that I feel free. I have the freedom to be myself without the constraints and social pressure of city life. And I also feel the presence and the power of life itself. Not ‘power’ as in organized or civilized but naked, strong and direct.
Everything is more simple and raw here. (Even the way people fight!)
So when you decide not to follow the rules everyone else follows, you can discover what you really want or what you really need much easier.

Living in this place for two years now, the environment and the culture are still new to me (even though I’m still in Taiwan!). This place provides me with a different way to observe nature and people. It even attracts many foreigners who love the peace and tranquilty that the environment provides. For me, I’ll say Dulan is a unique place because it contains a mix of traditional indigenous culture and ex-patriot influence.


So, what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment